Tuesday, June 24, 2008

CUN


The Central University of the Nationalities caters to Chinese minorities, of which there are many. Many people I pass on the way to class look more Turkish then Han Chinese, and it's fun to see bright local costumes mixed in with jeans and sports jerseys. This is the view from my dorm room - the top of a restaurant named simply "Muslim Restaurant." I had my first dinner here and enjoyed it, although someone later confided to me that the guy in red is actually preparing food for the restaurant down below. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes. Oh well, I haven't gotten sick yet.

I've thankfully tested into second year Chinese, so I attend 6 hours of solid Chinese class every day. It's very draining, but exciting at the same time. I've never once come close to falling asleep, something that would easily happen if I had 8am classes in the US every morning. Our teachers know how to push us to the limits, and fire questions at each student regularly throughout the lecture. I feel like a goalie on the defensive, always ready to spring, desperately trying to repel everything that's thrown my way.

After class, I often go to the campus supermarket to buy more bottled water (.15 USD), mechanical pencils (.20 USD), or bottled Starbucks lattes (4.00 USD). China is turning me into a miser - I get indignant if I have to spend more than 5 dollars on almost anything.

At first, I thought this was a small shrine to Coca-Cola, but it's actually the entrance to the campus supermarket, which is in the basement of a large multipurpose building. Interesting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter!!

Sounds like you're staying very busy, having a good time? Moscow is slow and sleepy, as all the Summers here are. I've been hiking a lot and enjoying the beautiful Spring weather (no more snow yet!).

I wish we could have hung out more while you were here but I'm glad I got to see you the times I did. Still wish you could come to Zach's wedding and be English-speaking person #9, it would be less foreign that way. And you could drink Vodka, a lot.

Hugs from Moscow,

Nat

ashleigh said...

Peter, woohoo! for placing in to second year Chinese! That is great! lol, love your shrine to Coco-Cola. Can't wait for more updates!

ciao,
Ash

Anonymous said...

LOL, I seriously laughed my ass off at your comment about the guy in red. Glad you made it to BJ safely Peter! How you holding up? That restaurant looks so awesome, I wish I was there with you to relish the food :] Your Chinese must be improving at an exponential rate!

Christine said...

Hi Peter!
So here you are on yet another intersting, and exciting milestone in your young life. You have a great sense of humor on how to handle your encounters. All fun aside...we wish you another great experience. Although... .I would see less eating in MY future over there,LOL!!!All part of the learning experience. See you when you get back. Love Aunt Chris