Monday, July 21, 2008

hainan

I'm on a one-week vacation in Hainan, a former place of exile for disgraced Chinese officials. Funny though, because it's a tropical island paradise. Hainan was on of Deng Xiaoping's first special economic zones, and the development here is just incredible. Thousands of apartment buildings and complexes are being built around the coast. This is my first dose of southern Chinese culture, and I'm loving it. People tend to speak Hainanese first, Cantonese second, and Mandarin third, so moving within Chinese accents has been interesting. I think it's good for my listening comprehension though. Ok, only 20 minutes left of my hour of internet. See you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

海南は ハワイと に-かよった点 が多い、そですね。

たのしい夏休みを すごしたね。

タンニングを エンジョイする。

Paul Obama said...

That's why I am glad I have not attempted to learn Chinese.