Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Job


MY OFFICE is in a 5 story high-rise in downtown Akasaka, a Tokyo business district. It has a balcony. This morning I took a few minutes to look out at the city and relax. They are building yet another skyscraper next door, or else the big red crane lies. Two other towers are almost finished, rocketing up 50 stories or more. I think of them as candles, burning in reverse - each skyscraper rises at the same speed as the others, but some are higher, some are lower. They've been hammering away the whole time I've been here, and I hope to see something like the finished product when I leave. Soon my baby neighbor skyscraper will outgrow my own building, until my balcony is dwarfed. Maybe I'll get some shade then; it's ridiculously hot here.


OK, let me introduce my bosses (I have three of them, sort of): Masa, Jun, and Yoshi (left to right). Yoshi hired me, Masa is my navigator, and Jun laughs at my jokes once in awhile. They're all great people to work with, and I'm sure they'll make cameos throughout this blog.
Today I journeyed to Ginza to review the Sony showrooms, wherein lie the highest-tech electronics the brilliant minds at said company have come up with over the years (I pity my Japanese friends who are trying to read that last sentence). I took pictures of it before I got too narcissistic with a video camera.

OK, I'm going home.










Above: Yakitori restaurants in Hibiya, Tokyo

2 comments:

ashleigh said...

love the last photo...

how much will the skyscrapers grow while you are there?

makeawish said...

yay this is good. i'll be sure to read your blog =]