Thursday, March 30, 2006

kamakura one


Ayumu, a college student from my church, took me on a sightseeing trip to Kamakura, an area famous for its numerous and beautiful shrines (Shinto) and temples (Buddhist). A shogun - whose name escapes me - once made Kamakura his capital, accounting for the concentration cultural buildings in this now relatively quiet prefecture.


I'm always impressed with how well Japanese architecture and aesthetic harmonize with nature. I felt very peaceful walking through the valley.









(spring flags, to hazard a guess - my friends couldn't read the kanji. Kamakura.)







(detail of a wooden gate, approx. 7x10 cm. Kamakura.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks really neat! Your hair is getting real long.

Anonymous said...

those are some really nice pictures. I really think american architects really need to take some lessons from the Japanese! a lot of buildings are atrocious over here! how is the weather over there? is it still cold? today its really humid and hot up in the 80's. but its great cause I can wear shorts! Please tell all the Iversons hey for me! later

Peter K said...

The weather here right now is beautiful - sunny, windy, slightly chilly, clear, like San Francisco. I'm probably experiencing Japan at its best at the moment. They have a heavy rainy season in June.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree. Your hair is getting long again.... you look very proud of yourself too :) What did you buy?